advanced yoga training faq
300-hour program (bridge to RYT500)
yoga teacher training and immersion workshops for all students
What is the Advanced Training program, and who is it for?
There are three segments of our student population for whom we are offering this program:
- Dedicated Students – Longtime practitioners of yoga who are not interested in teaching yoga, but who want to dive deeper into the richness of yoga in a way we cannot really explore in regular classes.
- Yoga Teachers, continuing education – Teachers at any level, of every style, who understand the importance of always being a student and enriching their own practice and enhancing their teaching skills. Also appropriate for those who need RYT200 CEU to keep their Yoga Alliance status current.
- RYT200 Certified Teachers – RYT200 certified teachers who would like to complete the additional 300 training hours for RYT500 certification and who want an in-depth training to take their practice and teaching to the next level.
What is the difference between required and elective hours?
This applies only if you are completing the training for YTT300. In this case there are seven required modules, which can be completed in any order:
- Refine & Align (25 hours): Refine your sequencing and teaching methodology, and realign your intentions and actions as a practitioner and teacher of yoga.
- Anatomy Essentials (15 hours): Deepen and expand your understanding of anatomy and biomechanics.
- Finding Your Voice (13 hours): Connect with your voice, your truth, and your personal power.
- The Art & Science of Teaching (13 hours): Improve your skills in body reading, modifying asanas for the individual, and teaching language.
- Weekend of Reflection: The Power of Silence (14 hours): Refill your cup and delve into the internal world through silence, meditation, and restorative yoga.
- Satsang: Finding Yourself in Community (14 hours): Connect with the concept of Sangha—the power and importance of having a community of like-minded individuals to support you on your path.
- Therapeutic Yoga (40 hours): Learn the art of healing through restorative and gentle yoga, intentional touch, and guided imagery.
These seven modules represent what we believe to be the core foundation for a solid yoga instructor of any style: alignment and body reading, applied anatomy, concentrated teaching skills, meditation and pranayama, service, therapeutics and community.
You collect additional hours in elective workshops, series classes, and even retreats offered throughout the year at blue lotus. If a workshop provides YTT300 credit hours for participation, you’ll see YTT300 – x hours at the bottom of the course description on the blue lotus online WebScheduler, where you register for the class.
And what if I am not interested in certification?
Then you have the freedom to take only the segments you are interested in — there is no application process or registration other than simply signing up for a workshop! Some segments, such as Therapeutic Yoga and Refine & Align have significant teaching-related components. Other modules have no teaching component whatsoever. If you have questions about a specific workshop, please contact us.
How do we track hours?
You do not need to track your hours for workshops completed at blue lotus—we will do that for you. If you take an elective module outside blue lotus, you must track those hours and provide them to us.
What is the application process for YTT300?
It is really more a registration than an application. If you are registered with Yoga Alliance as RYT200, you are automatically accepted into the program. To begin collecting hours, send us an e-mail and include your contact information (name, address, phone, email, emergency contact and relevant current health status) and a copy of your YTT200 certificate if you did not train at blue lotus. The registration fee is $140, and it includes your initial teaching assessment, which represents your first two training contact hours. Again, please note that hour counting begins with registration. No hours are given for trainings completed before registration.
How long does it take to complete the program?
On the short side, you can finish the program in 18-24 months, depending on when you start and what modules you take. On the long side, you may take up to four years to finish. Either way, you must complete a minimum of 30 hours of training at blue lotus each year to keep your registration active.
When does it start?
There is no set start date for the program. You may take one module in isolation for your own enrichment, take every module, or pick and choose workshops and trainings that interest you. There is no enrollment or registration process unless you are interested in YTT300 certification.
What if I can’t attend the entire weekend?
To receive YTT300 credit, you must complete the weekend in its entirety, including required reading and assignments. Partial attendance is eligible for continuing education credit, but not for 300-hour credit. If you cannot complete the whole weekend and are on track for YTT300, we recommend you wait until the next time that module is offered.
Is there a refund if I have to cancel my participation in a training?
You will not receive a refund if you withdraw from any workshop or class at blue lotus. Studio credit can sometimes be offered if you cancel your registration well in advance of the workshop (each workshop will list restrictions on studio credit for cancelation). If you must withdraw from a workshop, you can cancel your registration through our online system—if you cancel early enough to be eligible for studio credit, you must contact blue lotus in order to claim that credit.
If a workshop is canceled by the studio, you will have the option to hold your registration as studio credit or to receive a refund via check.
Must I have RYT200 certification to participate?
Many modules are open to all dedicated students, regardless of training. In the workshop description it will be clearly indicated if RYT200 certification is a pre-requisite.
How often are the required modules offered?
The longer modules are offered every other year. Most modules are offered annually.
Can I get credit for training I have done in the past?
No. We feel that continuing education is a lifetime of work. All the training you have done is beneficial and has helped to get you to where you are now. Hour counting for YTT300 begins with your registration.
So I understand there are seven (7) required modules and then additional elective hours. Can I get these elective hours somewhere other than blue lotus?
You may receive credit for a maximum of 30 elective hours outside of blue lotus, as long as they are from a pre-approved source. Those who live outside of the Triad-to-the-coast region may collect a maximum of 60 elective hours outside of blue lotus.
I really just want to do this for personal development. What are the requirements?
There are no requirements if you are participating in modules for your own personal development. If you are not looking for formal certification, the amount of outside work, daily practice, reading, and writing assignments you complete is entirely up to you. However, if you change your mind in the future, you will have to re-take incomplete modules in their entirety in order to receive credit.
Do you offer financial aid for YTT300?
Although we have work-trade and partial scholarships for our YTT200 program, at this time we do not offer financial aid for YTT300, as it is a pay-as-you-go system. We do, however, offer an Early Bird discount for most modules, which can provide you savings if you can plan your participation in a module at least 30 days prior to its start.
What is the schedule?
The program is an open system — you can take any module, in any order. Required modules will be offered at regular intervals and are noted as such. For module details and to register for a training or workshop, please visit our online WebScheduler. Early bird discounts apply for up to one month prior to the start date. For the current list of offerings, visit the training schedule.
Have more questions?
Please email us!