Cultivating Skill in Action:
advanced yoga training for authentic living
enrichment, continuing education and 300-hour curriculum for RYT 500 certification
The blue lotus advanced yoga training program for teachers and dedicated students is designed to guide you further along your path. Through study, community and service, find a deeper sense of fulfillment in your life and become a greater force for good in the world.
Our blue lotus advanced training 300-hour bridge program was created in an open format. You may take any module, in any order. You may complete modules for your own personal growth, for RYT 200 CEU, or as credit toward RYT 500 certification. Some modules focus heavily on the art and science of teaching yoga, and some modules have no teaching component whatsoever. This information will always be included in the course description.
YTT300 (bridge to RYT 500)
To enroll in the blue lotus advanced training 300-hour bridge program, you must already have earned RYT 200 certification. Through our 300-hour bridge program, you will satisfy all Yoga Alliance requirements for certification at the 500-hour level (RYT 500). Your contact hours will come through a variety of required and elective workshops. Hours for individual workshops may vary from year to year, so the hours below are approximate.
areas of study and certification hours
Initial teaching assessment and final teaching assessment: 4 hours
Required modules (7): 127+ hours
Required workshops: 12 hours
Required mentorship: 17 hours
Required assisting: 15 hours
Elective modules: 129+ hours
Total contact hours: 300+
Many workshops will have optional additional hours you can collect by completing outside assignments.
If at any point you choose not to complete the 300-hour training for RYT 500 certification, all the hours you complete will count as continuing education credit for Yoga Alliance.
initial teaching assessment
Our 300-hour bridge program emphasizes a refinement of your teaching skills and methodology, as well as your personal practice and intentions as a teacher. The registration fee is $140, and it includes your initial teaching assessment, which represents your first two training contact hours. You’ll teach a free class at blue lotus and receive personalized, constructive feedback on your current teaching skills. You’ll have two other required assessments—once during your required mentorship, and then in your final teaching assessment—and you may select to have additional assessments, which will count toward your elective hours.
The blue lotus advanced training 300-hour bridge program is open-format, meaning you can attend modules in any order, and may take as long as four (4) years to complete the requirements. Currently, there are seven (7) required modules. Each module is offered every one to two years, with current hours as detailed below:
- Refine & Align (18 hours): Refine your sequencing and teaching methodology, and realign your intentions and actions as a practitioner and teacher of yoga.
- Anatomy Essentials (15 hours): Deepen and expand your understanding of anatomy and biomechanics.
- Finding Your Voice (12 hours): Connect with your voice, your truth, and your personal power.
- The Art & Science of Teaching (13 hours): Improve your skills in body reading, modifying asanas for the individual, and teaching language.
- Weekend of Reflection: The Power of Silence (14 hours): Refill your cup and delve into the internal world through silence, meditation, and restorative yoga.
- Satsang: Finding Yourself in Community (14 hours): Connect with the concept of Sangha—the power and importance of having a community of like-minded individuals to support you on your path.
- Restorative Yoga (40 hours): Develop your skills in the powerful practices of restorative yoga, intentional touch, and deep relaxation.
In addition to the required module hours, you will collect training hours by completing a mentorship with an RYT 500 teacher and assisting an RYT 500 teacher. Additional elective workshops and training sessions will further develop your skills and allow you to explore personal interests, from applied anatomy to teaching skills, to philosophy and the ancient texts.
Four asana workshops and four hands-on assisting workshops, for a total of eight workshops, are offered each year and are required for all students enrolled in the 300-hour program. Each workshop provides two hours of credit. One each of the asana and assisting workshops takes place during the required mentorship and are included in those hours. The remaining 12 hours for the other three asana and assisting workshops constitute the 12 required workshop hours.
Seventeen (17) of your contact hours will be a one-on-one mentorship with a blue lotus teacher. In this mentorship you’ll cover personal practice, teaching methodology, hands-on adjustments, and posture alignment. You will assist your mentor in at least six of his/her public classes, and you’ll also attend two two-hour workshops on hands-on adjustments and posture alignment. You’ll have at least two private sessions with your mentor, to cover personal practice and teaching methodology. Your mentor will also observe you teaching a public class and provide feedback on your teaching skills. During your mentorship you will also be assigned an outside project to complete, based on your current needs.
required assisting hours
Fifteen (15) of your contact hours must come from assisting in an RYT 500 classroom. It is strongly recommended that you assist in a workshop format—teacher trainings, continuing education trainings, etc.—and you may apply for a position as an assistant in blue lotus’s 200-hour training, or in a 300-hour module you have previously completed. If you are interested in applying for a role as Trainer for our YTT200-hour program, 9 Months of Transformation, please contact us.
optional modules and elective hours
The additional hours you need for Yoga Alliance certification at the RYT 500 hour level may be collected through workshops and optional weekend modules at blue lotus. You can choose the modules that most suit your areas of interest, or where your previous training may have been incomplete.
Optional weekend workshops include, but aren’t limited to:
- Bhakti Yoga
- Sanskrit, the Bhagavad Gita, and the Yoga Sutras
- The Chakras and the Emotional Body
- Ayurveda & Yoga
- Mantra, Mudra, Yoga Nidra
- Holding Space
- Thai Yoga Bodywork with Michael Sitzer
- Yoga and 12-Step Recovery
- Yoga Outreach Training with Connection Coalition
- The Art of Creating a Yoga Class
- The Business of Yoga
- Afternoon workshops
- Common Yoga Injuries and Therapeutics
- Yoga Anatomy – Special Topics
- Teaching Beginner Students
Other ways to earn contact hours include:
- Private study with approved E-RYT 500 instructor (up to 18 hours credit)
- Trainer Position in the blue lotus YTT200 program (fulfills 15 required assisting hours, plus 15 elective hours)
- Pre-approved elective modules outside blue lotus (maximum of 25 hours)
For more information, please refer to our Advanced Training FAQ.
additional requirements for RYT 500 certification
For RYT 500 Certification, you must complete these additional requirements:
- Written logs over a minimum of 18 months (forms are provided)
- Asana practice – minimum of 30 minutes, 3 times per week
- Meditation practice — minimum of 15 minutes, 5 times per week
- 100 documented teaching hours over the course of your training
- 40-day practice journal — dedicated practice, completed over 40 consecutive days, of a specific mantra or meditation technique
training completion and yoga alliance registration
After you’ve completed your 300 contact hours, you will submit your written logs and schedule your final teaching assessment. The fee for your final teaching assessment and certification is $108, and you will receive written, constructive feedback on your teaching.
Upon successfully completing your final teaching assessment, you receive a digital (PDF) file of your 300-hour certificate. Yoga Alliance requires you upload this file in order to upgrade your registration to RYT 500. You’ll also need to pay Yoga Alliance a $50 registration upgrade fee and log at least 100 teaching hours on their database. More information on upgrading your registration can be found at Yoga Alliance.
If you’d like to be placed on our mailing list for advanced training announcements, please provide your email on this simple form. For more information, please view the training schedule, visit our FAQ or email us.