One of the central ethical teachings of yoga is ahimsa, practicing non-violence — doing the least amount of harm. At blue lotus, it also means treading lightly on the Earth. That’s why it was so important to us to create a “green” yoga studio. We felt it was an organic part of the practice, and we jumped at the opportunity to lead by example the much-needed paradigm shift toward environmental sensitivity.
When we opened our doors in February 2007, blue lotus was not only the first yoga studio in downtown Raleigh, but it also was the area’s first green yoga studio, as recognized by the California-based Green Yoga Association. The association fosters ecological consciousness, reverence and action in the yoga community, and recognizes studios that minimize their environmental impact.
As a member of the association’s Program Pilot, we contribute to their Green Studios Handbook to guide other yoga studios to implement green business practices and increase environmental awareness in their students and communities.
it’s easy being green!
In the creation of blue lotus, studio founder and director Jill Sockman realized a dream without making what others might assume to be sacrifices to “go green.” Informed choices resulted in environmentally friendly options that in many cases didn’t mean more money but did mean energy conservation — and a healthy space!
It all adds Generic Cialis up. And every decision counts. Our healthy, sacred space is for the benefit of our students, and is an opportunity for us to educate our community. We hope by showing you the small things we do to reduce our footprint on the planet, you consider making better choices — which eventually add up to big changes and a greater awareness and action in the global community.
how we did it
In our development efforts, we focused on four specific areas — water and energy conservation, renewable resources, nature-friendly materials, and social responsibility.
- Glueless cork flooring in the practice space
- Natural fiber sisal carpet in reception area
- 100% biodegradable Marmoleum® in bathroom (ecologically produced, natural linoleum flooring)
- Welcome desk and retail space crafted from Lyptus® hardwood (from sustainably harvested eucalyptus trees)
- Low-flow plumbing
- HVAC system with an “economizer cycle”
- Energy-saving light fixtures
- Natural light in large, front windows
- Low-VOC (volatile organic compounds) paints
- Non-toxic finishes
- Non-chemical cleaning supplies
- Non-toxic soaps
- Non-petroleum soy candles
- Printing on recycled bleach-free paper and using soy-based inks when possible
- All recyclable goods recycled
- Reduced fuel consumption (blue lotus is located on a public bus route, and we encourage walking and cycling to class.)
- Yoga clothing and props made by earth-friendly, socially responsible, community-oriented businesses